Progression of translations of saying 70

  • Manfred Peters
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2005
      Hi everybody,

      I was wondering if anyone had thoughts regarding the ambiguity of the
      different translations of saying 70. I compiled a few versions (below)
      and found that the one that might have been the most widespread
      previously (Pagels – which she takes from the 1977 edition of
      NHL) now
      seems to be the deviant one. Was there ever a specific occasion when
      the standpoint shifted from the one to the others or was there a
      steady trickle of new ones, all leading in the same direction?

      I assume (and please correct me if you disagree) that the implications
      of these differences in translation are clear, at least from a
      psychological viewpoint. In the one case the saying implies that we
      all have something in us (which might be "The world", "Jesus", "A
      godlike nature", et.c.) which, if not brought out and utilized, will
      go sour and kill us. In the other cases considerable room is left to
      argue that the saying could imply that, well, you might not have what
      it takes (to become one of the chosen ones et.c.), in which case you
      die. A world of difference to me…
      Does anyone have a different take on this one?

      Pagels (Ref NHL 1977)
      Jesus said: "If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring
      forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you,
      what you do not bring forth will destroy you".
      Blatz
      Jesus said: "If you have gained this within you, what you have will
      save you. If you do not have this in [you], what you do not have in
      you [will] kill you".
      Layton
      Jesus said, "If you (plur.) produce what is in you, what you have will
      save you. If you do not have what is in you, what you do not have
      [will] kill you."
      Doresse
      Jesus says: "When you have something left to share among you, what you
      possess will save you. But if you cannot share [among you], that which
      you have not among you, that [ ... ? ... will ...] you.
      Grondin
      Jesus said, "That which you have will save you, if you bring it forth
      from yourselves. That which you do not have within you [will] kill you
      if you do not have it within you".

      Cheers
      Manfred Peters