[gthomas] Re: [105] Sophia = The Mother

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 1999
      Chris Cutler wrote:
      >Simon Magus 'redeemed' a harlot he found in a whore house and made her his
      >consort. He claimed she was descended (in both senses of the word) from
      >Epinoia. Epinoia, as I'm sure readers will recall, was the thought created
      >from the first mind (Nous). It was the feminine thought, sprung from the
      >masculine mind (parallels of Eve from Adam's rib) that created the Angels
      >who in turn created the earth, then held Epinoia captive because they
      >didn't want anyone to find out that they were someone else's progeny.
      >
      >Any of this any use in the current debate, or am I way off beam?

      Certainly seems relevant to me, Chris. But the things you say about Epinoia
      don't seem to come from the Apocryphon of John. I assume also that they
      weren't original with Simon Magus. Some info about your source, as well as
      a comparison with AOJ with respect to the place accorded Epinoia, as well
      as Pronoia (=forethought), might be helpful.

    • Chris Cutler
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 1999
        Chris Cutler wrote:
        >Simon Magus 'redeemed' a harlot he found in a whore house and made her his
        >consort. He claimed she was descended (in both senses of the word) from
        >Epinoia. Epinoia, as I'm sure readers will recall, was the thought created

        >from the first mind (Nous). It was the feminine thought, sprung from the
        >masculine mind (parallels of Eve from Adam's rib) that created the Angels
        >who in turn created the earth, then held Epinoia captive because they
        >didn't want anyone to find out that they were someone else's progeny.
        >
        >Any of this any use in the current debate, or am I way off beam?

        Mike replied:
        Certainly seems relevant to me, Chris. But the things you say about Epinoia
        don't seem to come from the Apocryphon of John. I assume also that they
        weren't original with Simon Magus. Some info about your source, as well as
        a comparison with AOJ with respect to the place accorded Epinoia, as well
        as Pronoia (=forethought), might be helpful.

        Mike

        Chris:
        My secondary source is Hans Jonas, "The Gnostic Religion" Routledge, London
        1992 Ed p 104:
        "The developed Simonian doctrine, whether it was his own work or that of
        his school, has been preserved by a number of later writers beginning with
        Justin Martyr (who himself grew up in the district of Samaria) and
        including Iranaeus, Hippolytus, Tertullian, and Epiphanius. A source of
        great value is the writings entitled "Recognitions" and "Homilies",
        purporting to be by Clement of Rome and therefore called the "Clementined"
        or "Pseudo-Clementines."

        For a primary source (relying on Jonas):
        "He 'thought' His own likeness when He saw it in the pure Light-water that
        surrounded Him. And His Thought [ennoia] became efficacious and made
        herself manifest. Out of the splendour of the Light she stood herself
        before Him: this is the Power-before-the-All which became manifest; this is
        the perfect Forethought og theAll, the Light that is the image of the
        Light, the likeness of the Invisible. ... She is the first Ennoia, His
        likeness" (Apocr. of John, 27 1ff., Till)

        I gather from footnotes that the reference to Hippolytus is VI 18. In the
        same note Jonas admits that the Great Exposition was not by Simon. He even
        opines that Hippolytus himself may be mistaken in ascribing it to the
        Simonian sect at all, the link being that the "Thought" of God is female.
        Against this is the difference that for Simon, Helena fell; for Hippolytus
        there was no such degradation.

        Hope this helps.

        Chris
        Chris & Ariane Cutler

        What liberates is the knowledge of who we were, what we became; where we
        were, whereinto we have been thrown; whereto we speed, wherefrom we are
        redeemmed; what birth is, and what rebirth." (Exc. Theod. 78.2)