Re: [GTh] Line Numbers

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3 5:56 AM
      Dave Renfro writes:
      > Is it possible the order and numerical values
      > reflect the pentameter and stanzas of an oral
      > tradition, a poem, maybe even a song?

      Basically, no - in my opinion. In the first place, I believe that the Gospel
      of Thomas was always intended to be a secret document shared only among
      initiates. It probably used elements from oral tradition, and they may have
      counted (Coptic) syllables to create some kind of "rhythm", but IMO any such
      "rhythm" was based on the numbers they wanted to use, rather than the other
      way round.

      Mike
    • Mike McLafferty
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4 1:49 AM