Re: [GTh] Re: Line Numbers

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3 5:37 AM
      Wieland Willker writes:
      > There must be an error here:
      > Line length (my count) of
      >
      > 1: ca. 16
      > 654: ca. 15 (1 column?)
      > 655: ca. 14 (2 columns per "page")

      The chief difference in our counts is POxy 654. I'm looking at Bentley
      Layton's critical edition of Codex II (sans ApocJn). On p 113, he has the
      Greek of POxy 654, lines 1-5. For the first four lines I count,
      respectively, 31, 28, 28, and 27 letters. About half of each line is
      reconstructed, since, as Layton notes, "the right half of each line has now
      been lost". I think, then, that you must be looking at just that portion of
      the line that survives. You're right that POxy 655 has two columns of text
      per "page" - which accounts for the shorter line-length in that case, but
      not in the case of POxy 1, which has only a single column.