Re: [GTh] Line Numbers

  • David Renfro
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2005
      Is it possible the order and numerical values
      reflect the pentameter and stanzas of an oral
      tradition, a poem, maybe even a song?
      Dave Renfro

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2005
        Dave Renfro writes:
        > Is it possible the order and numerical values
        > reflect the pentameter and stanzas of an oral
        > tradition, a poem, maybe even a song?

        Basically, no - in my opinion. In the first place, I believe that the Gospel
        of Thomas was always intended to be a secret document shared only among
        initiates. It probably used elements from oral tradition, and they may have
        counted (Coptic) syllables to create some kind of "rhythm", but IMO any such
        "rhythm" was based on the numbers they wanted to use, rather than the other
        way round.

        Mike
      • Mike McLafferty
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2005