Re: Line Numbers

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2005
      Mike Grondin wrote:
      > The typical line-length in POxy 654 seems to be about
      > the same as the Coptic - maybe a little more - but
      > since the Thomas material was apparently copied onto
      > the back of something else (some kind of land survey),
      > it may be discounted for that reason. The typical line-
      > lengths of POxy 1 and POxy 655, on the other hand,
      > appear to be substantially smaller than the Coptic

      There must be an error here:
      Line length (my count) of

      1: ca. 16
      654: ca. 15 (1 column?)
      655: ca. 14 (2 columns per "page")

      Coptic: ca. 24

      There seems to be a discrepancy to your description above.
      I wouldn't make too much of this. There is no deeper meaning in the line
      length or the number of lines.

      Best wishes
      Wieland
      <><
      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
      Textcritical commentary:
    • Wieland Willker
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2005
        > I think, then, that you must be looking at just that
        > portion of the line that survives.

        Oops, yes, my error.

        1: ca. 16
        654: ca. 31
        655: ca. 14

        Best wishes
        Wieland
        <><
        Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
        mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
        http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
        Textcritical commentary:
      • Mike McLafferty
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2005
          Sorry, that last message got away from me the minute I started it. I meant
          to continue:

          Frank McCoy wrote:

          | I am referring to Thomas and the Evangelists (p. 25),
          | where Hugh Montefiore and H.E.W. Turner state,
          | "A tradition preserved by Victor of Capua..."

          I just wanted to ask about the referenced book, _Thomas and the
          Evangelists_. Is it worth acquiring? It seems to be a small 100+ pager from
          the 60's, according to BookFinder. Could you describe what it deals with?

          Mike McLafferty