Re: [GTh] Three Blocks/Sayings and GThomas Cosmology

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
      Frank-

      In this note, you play around a little with the 9 single-saying blocks,
      which is good. The observation that most drew my attention, though, was
      something I overlooked:

      > ... both the total number of blocks/sayings (which is 9) and the total
      > number of lines (which is 49) are square numbers ...

      Thanks for that. I hadn't put 2 and 2 together, so to speak. There's an
      enormous number of neat numerical patterns like that throughout the text.
      But they can only be "seen" if one thinks in terms of numbers, not words.

      > In any event, ISTM, there are just too many regularities to this group of
      > 9
      > blocks/sayings for it to not be a deliberate creation.
      >
      > But, if it is a deliberate creation, then what is its purpose?
      > Suggestions
      > are welcomed!

      Represents nine months of pregnancy preceding the birth of a new creation?
      All I know is that the transition from 9 to 10 (and again from 99 to 100)
      represented a "new beginning" - i.e., the beginning of a "new level" (from
      units to tens to hundreds, in the case of numbers.) Further, although 49 is
      significant, 50 is even more significant - being the number of a "jubilee
      year" - i.e., the year after a sabbath of sabbaths. I think, then, that
      there must be a hidden one-line block to go with - and to complete - these 9
      blocks of 49 lines. Further, I have a suggestion for what that might be -
      line 577. Think about it. Maybe you can come up with something that ties it
      nicely to the other nine blocks - or maybe you can come up with a better
      candidate for a 10th block that would make for 50 lines total.