Re: [GTh] Alpha-Omega

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2005
      Tom Saunders asks:
      > If the AofJnZ is a coded description of how to solve the Thomas puzzle, is
      > it in allegory, or mathematical, like a sequencing code?

      It's metaphorical language, apparently commenting on the properties or
      appearances of letters or words. The Monad, for example, is the number 1 in
      some form or other - probably the Hebrew letter aleph - which resembles the
      Greek letter nu (N), but like the Greek letter alpha, had a numeric value of
      1. (BTW, I have no idea why you include the letter 'Z' in your abbreviation
      of the title.)

      > How does the AofJnZ, fit with the Gospel of Phillip?

      The folks who put together the trilogy evidently thought that the three
      texts had a similar outlook, or complemented each other in significant ways.
      GPh, like GTh, is very disordered and thus looks like a mystery puzzle text
      itself.

      > How do you explain the idea that James, not John is for the heavens were
      > made?

      The saying that it was for James the Just that the heavens and earth were
      made appears elsewhere in early Christian writings as well. He was, of
      course, a very important figure - the head of the movement for some thirty
      years. However, I have no idea why that particular saying is in GTh.