Re: [GTh] Re: "Gnosticism"

  • Rogier van Vlissingen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 12, 2005
      On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:20:54 -0500, fmmccoy <FMMCCOY@...> wrote:

      > I do not think that this is a good situation and wonder if it might
      > be better to cease using terms like "Gnostic" and "Gnosticism" when
      > discussing Thomas--at least until there arises a standardized
      > universally accepted definition of "Gnosticism". What do you think?

      Suggestion...

      The difficulty lies in the following: the confusion arises practically over is any one who uses the word gnosis a gnostic? Which is a close corollary to was Jesus a Christian.

      By now there is enough information to see that Jesus was not a Christian, for the theological tenets that made Christianity what it is date from Paul and later. Thomas in fact is one of the key pieces of evidence that Jesus did not teach "Christian" theology.

      By quite the same logic Jesus is not a gnostic, and Thomas is not a gnostic writing, even if it was (later) extensively used in circles that were rightly or wrongly associated with the gnostics.

      Undoubtedly Jesus taught the idea that we have the gnosis within, that the Holy Spirit lives in us, and that he was teaching his disciples to honour that. But to Jesus gnosis was just a word he may have used. The distinction of gnostics vs non-gnostics arises only later. It is Pauls excessive obsession with sin, and his putting Jesus on a pedestal as a divine being, which create the effective monopoly on the teachings of Jesus for the church, and which are gradually becoming contrasted with the gnostics who focused on the notion that one way or another we do have the inner knowing, that the flame burns within all of us.

      Therefore Gnosis, and Gnosticism in the Christian sense become objectivized, and defined only in the process of the evolution of these distinctions in the centuries after Jesus. Since Thomas was not convenient to the Pauline teachings it got lumped in with the Gnostics, which is how the church tended to debase it in modern times as well. But that's clearly after the fact, even if in at least some cases certain Gnostic teachers may have preserved some teachings of his better than Paul and the Church - that still does not make Jesus a Gnostic, or Thomas a Gnostic document.

      It is historical nonsense to make Jesus or the Thomas material part of an argument that raged in subsequent centuries, and which they were blissfully unaware of. What may have happened is that some statements in Thomas that might not be original, could perhaps have a gnostic taint, just as much as there may be some Pauline editing in the canonical materials.

      Therefore the argument is not that difficult at all. Jesus taught what he taught. The fact that Paul used his teachings one way does not make him a Christian, and the fact that the Gnostics used his teachings another way does not make him a Gnostic either. There is no evidence whatsoever that his teachings were at all gnostic in the technical sense.

      [Rogier van Vlissingen]
    • fmmccoy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 16, 2005