The gospel of Thomas and Christian Wisdom

  • Andrew Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2005
      Hello,

      I'd like to announce a new edition of The Gospel of Thomas and
      Christian Wisdom by Stevan Davies. (Incidentally, Steve is the
      list-owner though he doesn't post here any more.) This second edition
      contains the complete text of the 1983 GTCW, along with an additional
      essay on the possibility of Thomas having been used as an oracles
      text. Steve has also contributed a riveting new forty-two page
      introduction. The new intro contains an extensive examination of
      Thomas' independence from the synoptics, including a devastating
      attack on Meier's dependency arguments.

      It is available from Amazon,
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0974566748/thegospeoftho-20
      [who are listing it as slow availability at the moment]
      Barnes and Nobles.com
      http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?isbn=0974566748
      [who will ship within 2-3 days]
      or through amazon.co.uk and most of the international amazons.

      Here's the blurb:
      Discovered in Egypt in 1945 as part of the Nag Hammadi Library, the
      Gospel of Thomas was long considered irrelevant to the study of Jesus'
      teachings. Stevan Davies' influential The Gospel of Thomas and
      Christian Wisdom overturned this view, and enabled the Gospel of
      Thomas to be taken seriously as a source for the earliest
      Christianity. This Bardic Press edition brings a classic work of
      accessible scholarshp back into print. A entirely new forty page
      introduction discusses recent developments in scholarship, looks at
      Thomas' independence from the New Testament gospels, discusses the
      role of Mary Magdalene in the Gospel of Thomas, and offers a variety
      of valuable insights. A fascinating additional essay speculates that
      Thomas may have been used as an oracle text in a similar way to the I
      Ching.

      Published January 2005 by Bardic Press. Softcover, 256 pages, ISBN
      0-9745667-4-8, $19.95.

      "... may well be the best yet written on the theology of Thomas..."
      "... nobody has done it better than he has."
      John Dominic Crossan, author of The Historical Jesus and The Birth of
      Christianity

      "The most original, challenging, and persuasive book about the Gospel
      of Thomas that I have ever seen."
      Morton Smith, author of Jesus the Magician and The Secret Gospel

      "The Gospel of Thomas and Christian Wisdom... first raised my interest
      in this debated writing."
      Risto Uro, author of Thomas: Seeking the Historical Context of the
      Gospel of Thomas

      Best Wishes

      Andrew Smith
    • et
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2005
        Thanks, I ordered that book from Amazon. It was even on sale. :)

        [Michael Mozina]

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 10, 2005
            --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Mike McLafferty"
            <mikemclafferty@c...> wrote:
            > Andrew Smith of Bardic Press offered the publisher's blurb for a 2nd
            edition
            > of S. Davies' book:
            >

            > | [...]
            > | A fascinating additional essay speculates that Thomas
            > | may have been used as an oracle text in a similar way
            > | to the I Ching.
            >
            > ...but T. Saunders wrote:
            >
            > | If Davies is correct about the link of Thomas to the
            > | I-Ching, and I think he is more than he knows, ...
            > ("Response to Karl"); and:
            >
            > | If the Gthom has some relationship to the concepts
            > | of Oriental thought, like the I-Ching...
            > ("112 in Thomas").
            >
            > Don't these represent a willful misreading of what seems to be a simple
            > reference to the possibility that an individual GTh saying may have
            been
            > randomly chosen, by some users at some times, to shed light on a given
            > question or problem? I see no implication that Davies "links" GTh to
            the
            > structure or tradition of the Yi Jing, or that anyone has.

            Steve's argument in this essay is that Thomas' lack of order and lack
            of coherence allows him to compare it to oracle texts *such as* the I
            Ching. He compares it more specifically to the Homer Oracle, an
            oracular text that was extracted from the Iliad and Odyssey. "Although
            the dating of magical papyri is uncertain, it is likely that PGM VII
            was in circulation in Egypt during a period roughly comparable to the
            period of circulation of the Oxyrhynchus Thomas papyri, i.e. in the
            third century C.E.. If nothing else the Homer Oracle guarantees that
            oracle lists for random divination circulated in Egypt in manuscript
            form and that they contained enigmatic sentences.... To make use of
            the oracle a client would throw three dice, or one die three times,
            each die containing six numbers."

            In the new intro, Steve writes "In addition to this new introduction,
            the Bardic Press edition of The Gospel of Thomas and Christian Wisdom
            contains an essay entitled "Does the Gospel of Thomas Have Meaning?"
            that I wrote for the annual convention of the Society of Biblical
            Literature. In it I suggest that Thomas may have been used as a
            divination text in ancient times. I continue to think that's a
            possibility, but it is a long way from a certainty."

            Although Steve doesn't mention it in this essay, I seem to recall that
            Metzger mentioned that some early Christian MSs showed signs of being
            used for divination. Does anyone recall this?

            Andrew Smith