[GTh] Re: The Cave of John the Baptist

  • Karl
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 19, 2004
      Oh, ok... sorry, I didn't understand that you had not been aware of
      that part yet (I was not sure when the conversation you are talking
      about took place).

      Anyway, Mr Golan, the owner of the piece, was arrested shortly after
      the IAA announced it's opinion that the box was not authentic (with
      one scholor retracting that belief). After the evidenced was
      gathered, he was released while the evidence was being tested (I
      have not heard what happened in the legal case... but these kinds of
      things can take years so I doubt they have gone very far yet)

      This was still before a definitive test had been done on the patina
      (tests had been done to see if there WAS a patina, and there was...
      but the makup had not yet been determined)

      It took a little while for the evidence to become public, but there
      was a lab found that included chemicals for creating a patina,
      etching tools, soil from different eras and places, as well as a
      number of partially completed pieces (seals, stones, other
      ossuaries), practice pieces, etc. Then, a more complex study of the
      patina demonstrated that there was in fact an original, plus another
      added in modern times (we know this because of the chemical makup)
      over a section that had been removed.

      Another piece that is included in this hoax is the Yoash
      inscription. And, he is known to have been the source for
      many "important" pieces that will very likely be investigated more
      closely.

      Karl

      --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Saunders" <tom@c...> wrote:

      > Hi Karl,
      >
      > I was not aware of any arrests or practice inscriptions. This
      puts another light on the bone box.