Re: [GTh] Thomas Kernel--Can Q help us to Determine If It is an Early Layer of Thomas?

  • Wade and April
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 16, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "fmmccoy"

      Oh goodness no. DeConick makes no such assumption in her paper. In fact an
      important point of her layering of Thomas is that one should NOT use Q as a
      differentiating tool. The point of the paragraph from her paper above was
      that once she did the layering and compared the results to Q, she found that
      a large amount of what she calls the kernel (the earliest layer of Thomas),
      has parallels in Q and that the non-kernel Thomas sayings (later layers) do
      not. It is simply an interesting finding, not the basis for her layering.

      The paper referenced is a small part of a forthcoming book she is close to
      completing. It is scheduled to be published by T&T Clark in mid 2005 and
      will be called (we think) "Recovering the Original Gospel of Thomas: A
      History of the Gospel and its Growth." Her methodology is described in much
      greater detail in the book than it was in the paper and a lot more support
      is given for the layering, but, again, it does not involve making use of Q
      to do it.

      Wade (who is, in the interest of full disclosure and bias reporting, is the
      spouse of said author Dr. DeConick)