A core Thomas set

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2004
      I thought I would construct a set within Thomas, as Andrew requested.

      Here is a small three sayings set, based upon the core-class frame 'seed.' This is an easy 'class-form' to extend to the core texts. The following frame, containing a field of three precepts, forms a logical and linguistically correct set.

      The (seed) is a core class-form in the Thomas lexicon, (Gnostic framework).

      20. The disciples said to Jesus, "Tell us what Heaven's kingdom is like." He said to them, "It's like a mustard seed, the smallest of all seeds, but when it falls on prepared soil, it produces a large plant and becomes a shelter for birds of the sky."

      57 Jesus said, "The Father's kingdom is like a person who has [good] seed. His enemy came during the night and sowed weeds among the good seed. The person did not let the workers pull up the weeds, but said to them, 'No, otherwise you might go to pull up the weeds and pull up the wheat along with them.' For on the day of the harvest the weeds will be conspicuous, and will be pulled up and burned."

      9. Jesus said, "Look, the sower went out, took a handful (of seeds), and scattered (them). Some fell on the road, and the birds came and gathered them. Others fell on rock, and they didn't take root in the soil and didn't produce heads of grain. Others fell on thorns, and they choked the seeds and worms ate them. And others fell on good soil, and it produced a good crop: it yielded sixty per measure and one hundred twenty per measure."

      Now, if we extend the concept of seed and plants (tree) into the frame, it will build a consistent 'kata' within the framework until the prima facei evidence, or obvious correspondence of the passages run out of your core source. Just using Thomas, we get in addition to the list...

      The (tree), is a core class form, in the Thomas lexicon.....

      45. Jesus said, "Grapes are not harvested from thorn trees, nor are figs gathered from thistles, for they yield no fruit. Good persons produce good from what they've stored up; bad persons produce evil from the wickedness they've stored up in their hearts, and say evil things. For from the overflow of the heart they produce evil."

      43. His disciples said to him, "Who are you to say these things to us?" "You don't understand who I am from what I say to you. Rather, you have become like the Judeans, for they love the tree but hate its fruit, or they love the fruit but hate the tree."

      19. Jesus said, "Congratulations to the one who came into being before coming into being. If you become my disciples and pay attention to my sayings, these stones will serve you. For there are five trees in Paradise for you; they do not change, summer or winter, and their leaves do not fall. Whoever knows them will not taste death."

      All these sayings together form the 'kata' from the core- class forms of seed, and tree. Or, in other words, The ( tree-seed) forms the core 'form, kata, class-forms,' in the frame of the lexicon, Saying 20, to 19.

      If we extend the lexicon to the other core class texts, the (forms, sets, kata, class-forms,) get bigger, and longer. I encountered some sayings with key words that did not fit into the framework with the other sayings that did, so what logically fits into the frame has its limits, but I don't know what they are yet. These are definite boundaries, but there may also be works we do not know about.

      Tom Saunders