Re: [GTh] Morton Smith's competence

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 52 , Oct 21, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 12:59 AM
      Subject: Re: [GTh] Morton Smith's competence

      > At 09:56 PM 10/21/2004 -0700, Peter Kirby wrote:
      >>On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:48:09 -0500, Jack Kilmon wrote:
      >>> I would also want to add that the foxing of the 250 year old
      >>> flyleaves seen in the color photos interferes with the hand and the
      >>> hand is not written OVER the foxing.
      >>
      >>You mean the ones reproduced in _The Fourth R_, right? And is this also
      >>displayed in the photos provided by Smith in his books, or only in those
      >>that surfaced later?
      >
      > I'm still trying to puzzle out what Jack was referring to.
      >
      >>Has anyone commented on this before?
      >
      > Don't know; it depends on what Jack meant.

      Foxing refers to the brown spots that gradually form on paper over extended
      periods of time. There are a number of causes, one being trace elements
      from paper pulping in older books and fluctuations in temperature. The ink
      itself can also cause foxing of the paper demonstrating a sort of brownish
      halo around the strokes.

      Jack
    • fmmccoy
      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 27, 2004