Re: [GTh] Unique Sayings

  • BitsyCat1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2004
      In a message dated 08/04/2004 05:44:45 PM, tom@... writes:

      > Gnostics from the indication of a lot of the Nag Hammadi texts, and later
      > works like from Clement, were seeking an idealism cohesive with natural law,
      > and demonstrable truths.  If so, then saying 42, would be unique as it relates
      > to the Christian Gnostic idealism. Be a passer-by, to those idealisms which
      > will not work in your real world, and beware of those that would rob you of
      > your quest.
      >
      > Tom Saunders
      > Platter Flats, OK

      John replies:

      Or perhaps its closer to the Tatian Address to the Greeks? Come into being
      as you pass away.
      Since this is essentially a summary of what Tatian says about the soul and
      the body.

      It would seem that Considering the writings available at the time, That
      perhaps
      Tatian had a source. Perhaps one other than the New Testament writings.

      It is known that after the death of Justin I believe, That Tatian is said
      to have become more of a Gnostic.

      Why would you choose the Become Passerby's, over the come into being
      interpretation, or translation?

      If one considers the Sitz im leben of the Saying, wouldn't the Grondin
      translation be more accurate.
      Or at least equally so?

      Respectfully

      John Moon