The division of the soul

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2004
      Hi Mike,

      "It seems that the mind of a person is presented as being torn between the
      physical desires of the external body and the spiritual desires of the inner
      spirit. The "light" within a person is hidden from normal sight."

      The light or perhaps splinther does have to be found, this is consistent with gnostic lore. The perspective of the gnostic mind (way of thinking) may be more complex. There are three parts or concerns in the process of Apolutrosis: "Redemption" as seen as being helped by the rite of initiation which helps to impart gnosis. This word refers to both the rite and what is received from it. ( according to my Gnostic Glossary) The perspective has to concern the psyche or inner self, and the relationship to the earthly or kenomic state, and the pleromic considerations. (becoming pleromic) This is a tripartite perspective.

      However, the three parts of the psyche, the body or spirit trapped in matter, and the pleromic state of those parts can be seen as one. Man is literally the same as heaven and earth. Alive in the body there can be no rest, man is always in motion, and starting with circadian rhythms is subject to 'Kyclose' or natural circulations. This is of course on all three levels of the psyche, kenomic state,( the effects of the carnal spirit) and the role the pleroma or All plays in these 'circulations.' This is way out of the linear perspective of just duality.

      The Gnostics hid things in front of us. Like gnosticism based on magic instead of logic, (Johnnite Gnosticism) or the outright practice of witchcraft we have to expect the occult in the presentation of things. I think the dualities we see in Thomas may be a ruse to get us to finally realize that in any duality there is always a pleromic element in the consideration. In other words nothing in the psyche or earthly state exists without the pleroma.

      How do you literally make a 'one?' Do you subtract it out of two or more elements, or do you build it from 'less than one' parts? And if you are able to build or create a 'one' how could you not do it out of the pleroma. Perhaps there is no such thing as one, and that is the point of Thomas dualities, and learning you are 'one.' ( If this does not make sense remember Thomas No. 2) Think about 2, and read part of 22....

      (Th-22) Jesus said to them, "When you make the two into one, and when you make the inner like the outer and the outer like the inner, and the upper like the lower, and when you make male and female into a single one, so that the male will not be male nor the female be female, when you make eyes in place of an eye, a hand in place of a hand, a foot in place of a foot, an image in place of an image, then you will enter [the kingdom]."

      This is thinking beyond the linear perspective of dualities. Making an image in place of an image, may refer to making the soul merge with wisdom or the All (also "Light" and Word) in the pleromic state, which is known as apokatastasis, or what the GPhil refers to as living resurrection. Still, man is trapped in the kenomic fault, and in this earthly state is flawed. I'm flawed, you're flawed, spirit trapped in matter, and on earth living, trapped with each other, and all of earth's creatures, all in the pleroma. (If we see it, we are all flawed and therefor may all be incorrect and misguided)

      Now consider Th-106..... Jesus said, "When you make the two into one, you will become children of Adam, and when you say, 'Mountain, move from here!' it will move."

      No. 22 is a saying that seems directed at the individual psyche, but it may apply to apokatastasis on a communal basis, if 106 refers to those living. In both cases the understanding of duality helps create balance and harmony between different, 'ones.' But duality itself is not complex enough to completely create, "Children of Adam" so to speak.

      Note: I have used the term kenoma and kenomic because it is by definition the imperfect state of the pleroma. Kenoma: The earthly or hylic state of the being. In the Gnostic schema(s) the kenoma is the imperfect and the antithesis of pleroma (plhrwma), where all are in a state of privation and unreality. (See Iren. Haer. I.4.I (M.7.480A); ib 1.4.2 (484A); Clem.exc.Thdot.31 (p117.11; M.9.676A); Thdt.haer.I.7 (4.298).

      Tom Saunders
      Platter Flats, OK