Re: [GTh] Re: the division of the soul

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Peter Novak" <novak@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 7:02 PM
      Subject: [GTh] Re: the division of the soul

      <SNIP>

      > We can be fairly sure that the early Christian church continued to more or
      > less openly subscribe to some form of the binary soul doctrine at least
      into
      > the fourth century. While addressing the Apollinarius controversy during
      the
      > 2nd Ecumenical Council of 381 AD, the church again accepted and
      re-approved
      > (albeit implicitly) the dogma that human beings are comprised of three
      > parts: body, soul, and spirit. (Henry R. Percival, ed., "The Seven
      > Ecumenical Councils of the Undivided Church", Vol XIV of Nicene and Post
      > Nicene Fathers, snd series, edd. Philip Schaff and Henry Wace, repr.
      > Edinburgh: T&T Clark; Grand Rapids MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1988.) However,
      > when the 4th Ecumenical Council rolled around 500 years later, the church
      > made an explicit about-face on this point, bluntly declaring:
      >
      > "Though the old and new Testament teach that a man or woman has one
      rational
      > and intellectual soul, and all the fathers and doctors of the church, who
      > are spokesmen of God, express the same opinion, some have descended to
      such
      > a depth of irreligion, through paying attention to the speculations of
      evil
      > people, that they shamelessly teach as a dogma that a human being has two
      > souls, and keep trying to prove their heresy by irrational means using a
      > wisdom that has been made foolishness. Therefore this holy and universal
      > synod is hastening to uproot this wicked theory now growing like some
      > loathsome form of weed."
      > - 11th Canon, 4th Ecumenical Council
      >
      > Perhaps without intending to, however, the above statement no less bluntly
      > declared that the BSD managed to survive inside Christianity for eight
      full
      > centuries, apparently finding the intellectual culture of the church a
      > consistently warm and nurturing home in which to grow. Indeed, this
      doctrine
      > was thriving in the church even as late as 869 AD, having become so
      popular
      > and widely accepted by that time that it seemed to be "growing like a
      weed."

      By 4th Ecumenical Council you mean the 4th Ecumenical Council
      OF CONSTANTINOPLE otherwise known as the 8th
      Ecumenical Council 869 (The 4th Ecumenical Council was
      Chalcedon 451).

      The 4th Ecumenical Council of Constantinople was called to
      depose Photius the controversial Patriarch of Constantinople.
      The condemnation of the idea of two souls was probably
      directed against recent theological speculations by Photius rather
      than against a still-surviving ancient belief.

      Andrew Criddle
    • fmmccoy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 17, 2004