The "one' principle....

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2004
      Hi Andrew,

      "My problem is that among the numerous and various parallels
      to this saying the double reference to inside and outside with
      single reference to upper and lower is rather unusual."

      I have a collection of about 13 pages of sayings based on the 'one' reference, given to me by a friend. It is a theme as old as civilization and writing as near as I can tell. It seems to have existed in both Eastern and Western philosophy long before Plato and Pythagoras.

      Apokatastasis seems to reflect a process of combining the soul with the Holy Spirit, making the 'two into the one.' The 'upper and lower' reference might be related to Thomas and the idea in the "Apostle's Creed," #5; "He descended into Hell." The 'two into one' idea seems to be very old and applied to duality in a huge number of ways. For instance:

      Th- 3b. "...live in poverty, you are that poverty."

      Here the 'two becoming one' is 'you' become 'poverty.' If we 'live' in the sayings of the GThom, do we become the GThom? I think the GThom is laced with the idea, 'two into one' and that is not only part of its genius, but an underlying principle of using 'gnostic' like perception, and mental reflection.

      Tom Saunders
      Platter Flats, OK