Thomas 36 Greek papyri variant reading

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2004
      I was recently reading the new book 'Thomas' by Risto Uro.

      It refers briefly to a claim by Robinson & Heil in ZNW 89 30 -44
      and ZNW 92 113-122 about the text of the Greek papyrus parallel
      to Thomas 36. (Oxyrhynchus 655)

      The passage reads 'Much better are you than lilies which neither
      card or spin' OU XAINEI (do not card) is clearly related to
      AUXANOUSIN (grow) in most manuscipts of Matthew 7 28 and/or
      AUXANEI in most manuscripts of Lke 12 47.

      Robinsom & Heil argue that this is the original reading which had
      been corrupted to 'grow' in the Q text underlying Matthew and Luke.
      And hence evidence that Thomas contains readings more primitive
      than those found in Q

      They may be right that 'do not card'' is the original reading but
      'grow' is not necessarily original to Matthew the first hand of Codex
      Sinaiticus reads OU XAINOUSIN, and this is quite possibly original
      although replaced in almost all manuscripts.

      IMHO this may be a case where Thomas helps us discover the
      original text of the canonical gospels rather than a more primitive
      text underlying them.

      Andrew Ciddle

    • Wieland Willker
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2004
        --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "sarban" <sarban@s...> wrote:
        > I was recently reading the new book 'Thomas' by Risto Uro.
        >
        > It refers briefly to a claim by Robinson & Heil in ZNW 89 30 -44
        > and ZNW 92 113-122 about the text of the Greek papyrus parallel
        > to Thomas 36. (Oxyrhynchus 655)
        > IMHO this may be a case where Thomas helps us discover the
        > original text of the canonical gospels rather than a more primitive
        > text underlying them.

        And why, please?
        Isn't it a smoothing and conformation to 6:26? The case is
        interesting, but really convincing arguments are missing.