Gospel of Judas

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2 1:34 PM
      There is a report at
      http://www.hypotyposeis.org/weblog/
      of the plan to publish a recently discovered
      Coptic Gospel of Judas apparently related to
      the Gospel of Judas mentioned by Irenaeus
      at the end of book 1 of Against Heresies as
      used by the Cainites,

      I mention this here partly because there is some
      (maybe flimsy) speculation that it was originally
      the Gospel of Judas Thomas and hence related to
      the Thomas literature. See
      http://www.hypotyposeis.org/weblog/2003/12/gospels-of-judas-judas-thomas-and-just.html

      Andrew Criddle

    • David Hindley
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8, 2006
        Group,

        Yesterday's paper had an article by Thomas H Maugh II of the Los Angeles Times about the impending publication of the Gospel of
        Judas.

        http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-sci-judas7apr07,1,4608547.story?coll=la-headlines-nation

        Seems well written. If the information that it contains about this gospel is correct, the story is from the perspective of Judas,
        which would make it unique indeed. Supposedly, the parchment and ink have been dated to circa 300 CE, around the same age as the Nag
        Hammadi texts.

        I know that some of the Gnostic texts depict Jesus in manners very different than that found in the canonical gospels, but this
        Judas angle I've never encountered before, except in hoaxes and modern fiction.

        Anyone know more specifics about what the text actually says? The publishers seem to have sought peer review, but only selectively
        and did not publish in advance in either journals or even an editio princeps.

        Respectfully,

        Dave Hindley
        Cleveland, Ohio USA
      • Ron McCann
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8, 2006
          Hi All,

          The Gospel is out and available at
          http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel about coptic text.html

          Ron McCann

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 12, 2006
            This is for who have a reasonable facility in Coptic (or a key to the
            exercises in Lambdin):

            I have been doing some revision in Lambdin and came across a sentence that I
            am having real difficulty with. My supervisor/advisor is out of town for
            three weeks so I am wondering if someone will kindly tell me what to do with
            B18 in the exercises for chapter 20. I can think of several ways of having
            a Coptic word with three alphas in a row but I can't at the moment conceive
            of any way of dividing PETOUNAAAF that makes sense in the sentence. Maybe
            I'm just tired. :-) Or maybe it's a typo???

            "One can easily understand a child who is afraid of the dark. The real
            tragedy of life is when grown men and women are afraid of the light." -
            Plato

            Rev Judy Redman
            Uniting Church Chaplain
            University of New England