Re: [GTh] Thomas by Uro

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2004
      From: "Tom Saunders" <tom@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 6:05 PM
      Subject: [GTh] Thomas by Uro

      > Hi Andrew,
      > I have tried to look at your contention that Thomas is Syrian. I just
      don't see it, except that if the first Gospels were written in Aramaic, it
      might have had Syrian -Aramaic influences, being that Galilee is so close to
      Damascus, and the language may have had some Syrian influence. It would be
      very hard to detect. I would say that Egypt would be far more likely to have
      produced Thomas if it did come about in the 2nd century.
      Some months ago I sent round a list of other early
      Christian works with parallels to Thomas.
      The works that have a significant number of parallels are
      Acts of Peter, Acts of Thomas, '2 Clement', Dialogue
      of the Saviour, Naassenes according to Hippolytus,
      Justin, the Liber Graduum, Manichaean Psalms, Origen,
      Gospel of Philip, Pistis Sophia, Stromateis of Clement,
      Symeon of Mesopotania (ie pseudo-Macarius), the
      excerpts of Theodotus according to Clement, Thomas
      the Contender.

      Of these works those originally Egyptian are
      '2 Clement', Origen, Pistis Sophia, Stromateis
      of Clement, excerpts of Theodotus
      originally Syrian or Mesopotanian
      Acts of Thomas, Dialogue of the Saviour, the
      Liber Graduum, Manichaean Psalms, Gospel
      of Philip, Symeon of Mesopotania, Thomas the

      There are more works with numerous parallels from
      Syria or Mesopotania than from Egypt although the
      difference is not massive (7 compared to 5)

      Other links to Syria are the importance of the word
      MONACHOS or solitary, and the combination of a
      generally negative attitude to the body and the material
      world, with the absence of a clear 'Gnostic' mythology
      of an evil or ignorant demiurge or creator distinct from
      the true God.

      It might of course be that these parallels are mostly or
      entirely the result of Thomas's influence in Syria (some
      of them almost certainly are) and that Thomas is a 1st
      century work from Palestine which became important
      in the Syrian church. However, whatever the direction
      of influence I do think there are more links between
      Thomas and Syria/Mesopotania than between Thomas
      and Egypt.

      Andrew Criddle