Thomas by Uro

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 2 , May 19 10:05 AM
      Hi Andrew,

      I have tried to look at your contention that Thomas is Syrian. I just don't see it, except that if the first Gospels were written in Aramaic, it might have had Syrian -Aramaic influences, being that Galilee is so close to Damascus, and the language may have had some Syrian influence. It would be very hard to detect. I would say that Egypt would be far more likely to have produced Thomas if it did come about in the 2nd century.

      "(There is a tendency in chapters 3 and 4 for Uro to argue that Thomas
      is intended for isolated individuals seeking private enlightenment."

      This makes a great deal of sense. However, isolated does not have to mean geographic location. It may well relate to individuals capable of personal enlightenment. This would be consistent with the idea of, "ecclesiolae in ecclesia," little churches within a church.

      Certainly for Gnostics the idea of meaning being independent from other Gospels would be the case. This is a matter of how the Gnostics would interpret the works, aside from say proto-orthodox factions.

      Tom Saunders
      Platter Flats, OK