GTh 37

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2004
      Hi John Moon,

      As to Clement's statement:
      To if you are to apply this to Gospel of Thomas,( Motion and rest). This would make Thomas decidedly Anti-gnostic. Have you ever considered that?

      I see the ruling spirit or mind as capable of overcoming the powers of the carnal spirit. In that sense I do not see Clement's statement at all anti-gnosstic, but cognizant of the problem or hylic flaw in the body. If you are to apply this to Gospel of Thomas, ( Motion and rest) then you must realize that alive and in the hylic state we are always in motion and not at rest at all while alive in the body.

      So we have the power of the ruling faculty, which is conscious application of mental concentration for a desired response, and we have unconscious spirit, like carnal spirit which works in emotions and subconscious bodily functions. While in the body or hylic state we are subjected to the powers of the carnal spirit, and what we can attribute to it.

      Tom Saunders
      Platter, OK