Re: [GTh] Crosstalk Discussions

  • William Arnal
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 6, 2004
      Hey Gordon, and everyone:

      >I do hope I can read hers and yours at some point. Could you possibly
      >snail
      >mail your piece?

      I could, but it might be quicker to find a local university library that
      carries HTR. If you want, though, I'll mail it to you -- e-mail me off list
      with you mailing address. And please, no requests from others! I'd run out
      of time, and postage, pretty quickly.

      >We agree on the former, but the latter interests me. I'd sometimes like to
      >hear your thoughts about the sitz you see that led to that later layer(s)
      >so
      >early. When I look at what I consider to be the earliest layer, that social
      >praxis looks to be changing in saying 6 and then saying 14:1-2 looks to be
      >taking this in yet a new way.

      Social praxis can change overnight, or in a year or two. It doesn't require
      decades. Paul's coail praxis changes from letter to letter. If we used the
      same techniques used to date Thomas to date Paul's letters, we'd end up
      dating letters like 1 Cor and Philippians to the second century, I suspect.

      >When you have time and I have some time to talk this
      >out, I'd like to do so.

      Sounds good. It's the end of term for me, so I don't have any more time at
      the moment to develop this stuff than you do. Later, then.

      cheers,
      Bill
      ______________________
      William Arnal
      University of Regina

      Add photos to your messages with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE*
    • BitsyCat1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 6, 2004
        In a message dated 04/06/2004 09:40:17 PM, warnal@... writes:

        > ... Thomas to date Paul's letters, we'd end up dating letters
        > like 1 Cor and Philippians to the second century, I suspect.

        I think that many are overly cautious of Thomas because they still ascribe
        to the theory that there is Guilt by association.

        That is, because it was found in the Nag Hummadi that it must then be late
        and Gnostic.

        As noted this is a false Premise.

        I would also note that Davies has suggested a pre existent Jewish Gnostic
        like Genre emerging in the first century.

        If this were so?

        The Jewish revolt in the 60s may have caused the dissolution and
        scattering of the proponents of this Genre and Belief system.

        Failing the initial movement This would then be taken up" after the
        Revolt" by the emerging Christian Church.

        That is it may be understandable that such would disappear, For a time
        only to emerge later..
        It might very well be expected.

        John Moon
        Springfield, Tenn 37172