RE: [GTh] Arnal's Article

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2004
      Bill,

      >>Sorry that I forgot who had asked me about this. That page is pretty
      impressive. Have YOU tried to contact them? The last time I tried they just
      completely ignored me. Maybe if you e-mail them and say, "I'm gonna post
      this on my page," more or less just declaratively, they'll be inclined to
      tell you why you CAN'T. And that gives us a starting point. What do you
      think?<<

      Peter might check with Prof. Mark Goodacre, who I believe has had similar
      experiences with periodical publishers with regard to one of his own
      articles. Whether it was Goodacre or not, the solution that was used was to
      make a formal request, followed by a reasonable period for a reply (few
      months). The was followed by an approach similar to what you proposed. The
      difference was that it was declared that they intended to post the article
      (having already obtained the author's permission) if the publisher *did not*
      object.

      Unfortunately I do not know if this approach worked (the publisher may well
      have been aroused from complacency and said "no"). While I doubt that
      posting an article will deprive the journal of much if any revenue (they've
      already sold as many library copies of the subject issue as they are likely
      to have), publishers seem to just hate setting precedents.

      Respectfully,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA