RE: [GTh] Arnal's Article

  • William Arnal
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2004
      Hi again Peter:

      >I am the person who contacted you about posting the HTR article on the web.
      > I am still >interested in doing so (on the
      >http://www.christianorigins.com/ web site). Perhaps you could ask >HTR
      >again? It would be a great boon to all to have the article available on
      >the web.

      Sorry that I forgot who had asked me about this. That page is pretty
      impressive. Have YOU tried to contact them? The last time I tried they just
      completely ignored me. Maybe if you e-mail them and say, "I'm gonna post
      this on my page," more or less just declaratively, they'll be inclined to
      tell you why you CAN'T. And that gives us a starting point. What do you
      think?

      I just realized that I'm posting this to the whole group, so I'd better
      actually say something about Thomas. So . . . I find myself rather shocked
      at the late datings of this text, and the confidence with which they are
      proposed. This is especially true of using the year 70 -- as is typical of
      NT scholarship in general -- as a kind of boundry point by which to classify
      all materials: they're either pre-70 (good, authentic) or post-70 (dubious,
      reinterpretive, etc.). This is especially funny with Thomas since the text
      makes no clear reference to the Jewish War at all! So it's sorta like
      classifying atomic and subatomic physics texts according to whether they
      pre-date or post-date the Chinese revolution. I mean, come on! Let's not get
      so caught up in the standard rhetorics of our discourse that we abandon all
      sense of the actual data!

      cheers,
      Bill
      ______________________
      William Arnal
      University of Regina

      Add photos to your e-mail with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE*
    • David C. Hindley
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2004
        Bill,

        >>Sorry that I forgot who had asked me about this. That page is pretty
        impressive. Have YOU tried to contact them? The last time I tried they just
        completely ignored me. Maybe if you e-mail them and say, "I'm gonna post
        this on my page," more or less just declaratively, they'll be inclined to
        tell you why you CAN'T. And that gives us a starting point. What do you
        think?<<

        Peter might check with Prof. Mark Goodacre, who I believe has had similar
        experiences with periodical publishers with regard to one of his own
        articles. Whether it was Goodacre or not, the solution that was used was to
        make a formal request, followed by a reasonable period for a reply (few
        months). The was followed by an approach similar to what you proposed. The
        difference was that it was declared that they intended to post the article
        (having already obtained the author's permission) if the publisher *did not*
        object.

        Unfortunately I do not know if this approach worked (the publisher may well
        have been aroused from complacency and said "no"). While I doubt that
        posting an article will deprive the journal of much if any revenue (they've
        already sold as many library copies of the subject issue as they are likely
        to have), publishers seem to just hate setting precedents.

        Respectfully,

        Dave Hindley
        Cleveland, Ohio, USA