Re: [GTh] Re: Essenes ....and Therapeutae?

  • Jim Bauer
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21, 2004
      From: "Steve" <dermarc@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2004 8:35 PM
      Subject: [GTh] Re: Essenes ....and Therapeutae?

      > --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Saunders" <tom@c...>
      >
      > > That certainly may be the case. What I am after here is to try and
      > place the concepts of pre-Christian ideas of Gnosticism within the
      > boundaries of secular Judaism.
      > ................................................. Could it be a
      > realization of combined ideas from pre-existing notions of Gnosis from
      > multiple sources, like some of the notions of the Essenes?
      > >
      > > Sincerely,
      > >
      > > Tom Saunders
      > >

      > Tom,
      >
      > I don't recall where I read it but if I remember correctly, Philo
      > mentions some Jewish folks in Alexandria who were called "Therapeutae"
      > who seemed to have a mixture of Jewish and gnostic conceptions. The
      > brief mention of them, where ever it was, was tantalizing.
      >
      > Steve

      Hi, Steve,

      A Google search turned up the following. The source in Philo is "De Vita
      Contemplativa", but as to whether they were "Gnostic", the evidence I could
      garner from the web is unclear. The search engine at www.gnosis.org turned
      nothing up on "Therapeutae", & they rather broadly include anything that
      might be remotely Gnostic, so I doubt there's a connection. Mostly, at
      least in the link below, the Therapeutae are characterized as forerunners of
      Christian monasticism, even to the point of being considered as having been
      "converted by St. Mark". Unlike the Essenes, who were more practical, the
      Therapeutae were more contemplative. They are also mentioned in the work of
      Pseudo-Dionysius.

      1.1911encyclopedia.org/T/TH/THERAPEUTAE.htm
      www.omhros.gr/kat/history/Txt/Rl/Therapeutae.htm

      Jim Bauer
    • Wade and April
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 21, 2004
        Hi Steve,

        You remember well, but Philo does more than mention the "Therapeutae" - he
        wrote a little book about them! It is available as "Philo of Alexandria:
        The Contemplative Life, Giants and Selections (Classics of Western
        Spirituality)" translated by David Winston. It is an anthology and the book
        on the Therapeutae is "The Contemplative Life" part of it. They were not
        gnostics, however, they were apparently Jewish mystics who were into ascent
        practices and visions of god. They were practicing late first century B.C.
        and early first century A.D.

        Wade

        Your Philo does
        > I don't recall where I read it but if I remember correctly, Philo
        > mentions some Jewish folks in Alexandria who were called "Therapeutae"
        > who seemed to have a mixture of Jewish and gnostic conceptions. The
        > brief mention of them, where ever it was, was tantalizing.
        >
        > Steve
      • sarban
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 22, 2004
          > > > That certainly may be the case. What I am after here is to try and
          > > place the concepts of pre-Christian ideas of Gnosticism within the
          > > boundaries of secular Judaism.
          > > ................................................. Could it be a
          > > realization of combined ideas from pre-existing notions of Gnosis from
          > > multiple sources, like some of the notions of the Essenes?
          > > >
          > > > Sincerely,
          > > >
          > > > Tom Saunders
          > > >

          > > Tom,
          > >
          > > I don't recall where I read it but if I remember correctly, Philo
          > > mentions some Jewish folks in Alexandria who were called "Therapeutae"
          > > who seemed to have a mixture of Jewish and gnostic conceptions. The
          > > brief mention of them, where ever it was, was tantalizing.
          > >
          > > Steve
          > >

          > Hi, Steve,
          >
          > A Google search turned up the following. The source in Philo is "De Vita
          > Contemplativa", but as to whether they were "Gnostic", the evidence I
          could
          > garner from the web is unclear. The search engine at www.gnosis.org
          turned
          > nothing up on "Therapeutae", & they rather broadly include anything that
          > might be remotely Gnostic, so I doubt there's a connection. Mostly, at
          > least in the link below, the Therapeutae are characterized as forerunners
          of
          > Christian monasticism, even to the point of being considered as having
          been
          > "converted by St. Mark". Unlike the Essenes, who were more practical, the
          > Therapeutae were more contemplative. They are also mentioned in the work
          of
          > Pseudo-Dionysius.
          >
          > 1.1911encyclopedia.org/T/TH/THERAPEUTAE.htm
          > www.omhros.gr/kat/history/Txt/Rl/Therapeutae.htm
          >
          > Jim Bauer

          Philo on the Therapeutae is online at
          http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/yonge/book34.html