Re: [GTh] Question about Essenes

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Tom Saunders" <tom@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 7:51 AM
      Subject: [GTh] Question about Essenes

      > I am both curious and confused on the information I have recently been
      reading about Essenes. Is Szckely's work on the "Gospel of the Essenes"
      legitimate? According to Ehrman in "Lost Christianities" the Dead Sea
      Scrolls contain no Christian material. What Szckely presents are different
      texts, some of which (fragments, Gen. 5:24, Manual of Discipline, Book of
      Hymns, and the Thanksgiving Psalm) are contained in the Dead Sea collection.

      > If the Essene Gospel of John is not a hoax, I think there may be a
      connection to it and Thomas material, especially "Contender." What are your
      thoughts on this matter?

      > Tom Saunders
      > Platter Flats, OK

      I think Szckely (? sp) is generally regarded
      as a forger
      see for example
      http://robertbr.tripod.com/spirit/isakasmir.html

      http://home.swipnet.se/corbie/Fuskwww/character.html

      Andrew Criddle
    • sarban
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2004
        > > I am both curious and confused on the information I have recently been
        > reading about Essenes. Is Szckely's work on the "Gospel of the Essenes"
        > legitimate? According to Ehrman in "Lost Christianities" the Dead Sea
        > Scrolls contain no Christian material. What Szckely presents are
        different
        > texts, some of which (fragments, Gen. 5:24, Manual of Discipline, Book of
        > Hymns, and the Thanksgiving Psalm) are contained in the Dead Sea
        collection.

        > > If the Essene Gospel of John is not a hoax, I think there may be a
        > connection to it and Thomas material, especially "Contender." What are
        your
        > thoughts on this matter?
        > >
        > > Tom Saunders
        > > Platter Flats, OK
        > >

        > I think Szckely (? sp) is generally regarded
        > as a forger
        > see for example
        > http://robertbr.tripod.com/spirit/isakasmir.html
        >
        > http://home.swipnet.se/corbie/Fuskwww/character.html