Question about Essenes

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2004
      I am both curious and confused on the information I have recently been reading about Essenes. Is Szckely's work on the "Gospel of the Essenes" legitimate? According to Ehrman in "Lost Christianities" the Dead Sea Scrolls contain no Christian material. What Szckely presents are different texts, some of which (fragments, Gen. 5:24, Manual of Discipline, Book of Hymns, and the Thanksgiving Psalm) are contained in the Dead Sea collection.

      If the Essene Gospel of John is not a hoax, I think there may be a connection to it and Thomas material, especially "Contender." What are your thoughts on this matter?

      Tom Saunders
      Platter Flats, OK