Re: Logion 50

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2004
      (Tom Saunders, quoting 1ApJames):
      > "You are to hide <these things> within you, and you are to keep silence. But you are to reveal them to Addai. When you depart."

      This is a serious and misleading error in quotation. The period that you put in after the word 'depart' makes it appear that James is
      supposed to reveal these things to Addai when he (James) departs. That is in fact how you apparently interpreted the passage, since
      you later say:

      > (Please forgive me if you where planning on "kicking the bucket" and having a conversation with Addai.) Like Santa Claus and the
      Easter Bunny ... Those entities are not named in Thomas, none of them from either creation or pleroma schema.

      From your erroneous conclusion that James is to talk to Addai AFTER he (James) "departs", you've drawn the additional erroneous
      conclusion that 'Addai' is a name for a heavenly figure. Both errors could have been avoided if you hadn't read the passage in question
      so hurriedly that you missed the whole point of it. In fact, there is no implied period after the word 'depart'. It's the beginning of a new
      sentence, the end of which you've illegitimately cut off:

      "When you (James) depart, immediately war will be made with this land. Weep, then, for him who dwells in Jerusalem. But let Addai
      take these things to heart. In the tenth year, let Addai sit and write them down."

      Addai was evidently a real person. Obviously, James is supposed to reveal his secrets to Addai BEFORE he (James) "departs". This
      passage is evidently a legitimacy-claim for writings attributed to Addai - or perhaps one of his sons mentioned in the damaged portion
      of the ms that follows.

      Mike Grondin
    • Tom Saunders
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2004
        Thank you Mike,

        There it is, living proof the blind leading the blind will fall in a ditch. Sorry. I have to laugh because I was trying to make the point how hard it is to put characters in the state of pleroma, and kenoma. OOOps.

        I find that I am not going to get any loans from (SOSU) Hayseed U. library for the texts we have mentioned. If anyone runs into a translated copy of the Stromata, Bk. 3, or the complete Books of Jeu, I would appreciate having them.

        Tom Saunders
        Platter, OK