Re: [GTh] Theodotus

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
      Tom Saunders wrote:
      > I don't think we see any enacted parables in the GThom. We certainly have
      parables, and they can be sorted out as different literature from the rest
      of what is in Thomas. I think the rest of Thomas are precepts. I recently
      wrote a study on the precepts in the "Bubishi." This once secret text is
      known to have come from at least in part from the famous Shoalin Temple.

      > "Precepts are short statements something like parables. They are
      statements meant to be allegorical, but most important they are to be used
      as 'applied phrophetics.' Unlike koans the precept is not a question
      without an answer, it is a statement that can be applied through its own
      wisdom, to those that would apply it. Precepts are demonstrable, and self
      evident in their nature, therefor they become tools of wisdom in the past,
      the now, and the future....." (The Essence of Kenpo Gukui, The Eight
      Precepts of Quanfa" by Saunders, 2004)

      'precept': a command, rule of conduct (Oxford Amer. Dict.)

      I don't see that precepts are at all like parables. They might certainly be
      phrased allegorically - anything can - but it isn't necessary that they be,
      nor that they be regarded as "applied prophetics" (whatever the heck that
      is). "Don't eat meat" is a precept, and nothing allegorical or prophetic
      about that. The precept is a common critter that can certainly be dressed up
      when in use, no doubt, but it only misleads and confuses to describe it in
      such an overly-poetic way as above ("can be applied through its own wisdom"
      indeed!). Furthermore, there's a lot in Thomas that can't be categorized as
      either precept or parable (77.1 comes to mind, and then I notice 71 and 74
      close by; I'm sure there's many others).

      Mike Grondin
      p.s.: Please ignore previous note caused by involuntary twitching
      forefinger.