Re: [GTh] Gnosticism Then and Now

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2004
      From: "Tom Saunders" <tom@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 8:11 AM
      Subject: [GTh] Gnosticism Then and Now

      <SNIP>

      > Below is a cut and paste from Book 3 where he uses the term 'gnositcum.'
      This book is the only one that I don't have a translation for and I suspect
      some 'whoppers...." I wonder if someone would translate........please:

      > "Joannis autem vitae institutum gnosticum quis imitabitur?"

      Which of them will imitate John's gnostic way of life ?
      (Oulton and Chadwick's translation)

      I think (but am not sure) that John here is John the Baptist

      In context Clement is criticising teachers who condemn marriage
      and quote biblical examples, but pick and choose the bits of
      a prophet's or apostle's lifestyle they fancy and ignore the rest.