Pleroma Kenoma

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2004
      Hi Mike,

      Pleroma is easy as to finding it. It seems to be used in both Sethian and Valentinean type works. I have the terms defined as following:

      Pleroma: The word means "fullness". It refers to all existence beyond matter but not including Bythos who is beyond it. Refers to the world of the Aeons, the heavens or spiritual universe. According to the "Gospel of Truth" "....all the emanations from the Father are Pleromas." see Tractates 3,2, Codices, I, and XII, Nag Hammadi Lib. Pleroma can have other connotations according to the Gnostic school of thought, some differences in Sethian and Valentinian (other) schools can be noted.

      Kenoma: The physical universe as opposed to the pleroma. In most Gnostic schema the kenomic state exits for those out of the pleroma, and is considered imperfect. Sophia, wisdom herself is considered a whore in the hylic or kenomic state.

      I have to admit that I found the term kenoma among other's attempts at composing Gnostic glossaries. It was listed in at least three other sources but no reference was given. It seems very much to be synonymous with the hylic state of being as seen by the early Gnostic.

      Tom Saunders
      Platter, OK