Re: Review of Karen Kings Book _What is Gnosticism?_

  • jmgcormier
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2004
      --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Hubbard" <rhubbard@m...> wrote:
      > The word "Gnosticism" is uttered often and carelessly by GThomas
      > contributors. Karen King's latest book _What is Gnosticism?_ may
      encourage
      > some more thoughtful uses of the term. Here is a review:
      >
      > http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/2003/2003-07-26.html
      >
      > Rick Hubbard
      > Humble Maine Woodsman

      ---------------------------------------

      Sounds like a reasonable study into the matter, but it looks like one
      will have to read the book to see if King actually "nails it down".
      Everytime I hear the word "gnosticism" I tend to see in my mind's eye
      someone trying to nbail J-ELLO to a wall. A great example of this was
      submitted in Post # 5851 as a thought from Ioan Culianu @ U. of
      Chicago. (Good one!)

      All in all, I suspect it will be tough to ever go beyond defining
      "gnosticism" as Stephen Hoeller did ( http://www.gnosis.org/what
      isgnostic.htm )when he identified 12 elements of the notion of
      gnosticism without precisely defining it.

      Maurice Cormier