Review of Karen Kings Book _What is Gnosticism?_

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2004
      The word "Gnosticism" is uttered often and carelessly by GThomas
      contributors. Karen King's latest book _What is Gnosticism?_ may encourage
      some more thoughtful uses of the term. Here is a review:

      http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/2003/2003-07-26.html

      Rick Hubbard
      Humble Maine Woodsman
    • jmgcormier
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 13, 2004
        --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Hubbard" <rhubbard@m...> wrote:
        > The word "Gnosticism" is uttered often and carelessly by GThomas
        > contributors. Karen King's latest book _What is Gnosticism?_ may
        encourage
        > some more thoughtful uses of the term. Here is a review:
        >
        > http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/2003/2003-07-26.html
        >
        > Rick Hubbard
        > Humble Maine Woodsman

        ---------------------------------------

        Sounds like a reasonable study into the matter, but it looks like one
        will have to read the book to see if King actually "nails it down".
        Everytime I hear the word "gnosticism" I tend to see in my mind's eye
        someone trying to nbail J-ELLO to a wall. A great example of this was
        submitted in Post # 5851 as a thought from Ioan Culianu @ U. of
        Chicago. (Good one!)

        All in all, I suspect it will be tough to ever go beyond defining
        "gnosticism" as Stephen Hoeller did ( http://www.gnosis.org/what
        isgnostic.htm )when he identified 12 elements of the notion of
        gnosticism without precisely defining it.

        Maurice Cormier