Re: [GTh] Faith Sight and Knowledge

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2004
      Andrew Criddle writes:
      > If Thomas in John represents a contemporary attitude of
      > which the author disapproves it is IMO more likely to be an
      > emphasis on continuing revelation rather than on deeper
      > spiritual enlightenment. In other words the sort of attitude
      > more likely to lead to Montanism than to Gnosticism.

      At a more obvious level, however, the author of GJn seemed to be mightily
      concerned with docetism - as he was also in the letters. Why he would have
      associated Thomas with the apparently docetist view that Jesus didn't rise
      in the flesh seems somewhat mysterious, unless GTh's "I appeared to them in
      flesh" was intended to mean that Jesus wasn't really a fleshly being but
      only appeared to be (i.e., the docetist view). In any case, would
      "continuing revelation" have necessarily questioned the belief in a bodily
      resurrection? Is that why John insisted that prophets be tested - and that
      the primary test be whether they believed that Jesus had lived and died in a
      human body?