Re: [GTh] Hands ...

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2004
      One question is whether Thomas' inclusion of hands brings out meanings that
      would not otherwise be apparent. If so then perhaps the 'hands' belong to
      the original strata and have been removed in the gospels rather than added
      by Thomas.

      The quotes of logion 41 show how 'something in his hand' is present in
      Thomas and not in the gospel version -

      > Luke 19, 26 ... "'I tell you, that to every one who has will more be
      > given; but from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away."
      >
      > Thomas # 41 ... "Jesus said, "Whoever has something IN HIS HAND will
      > receive more, and whoever has nothing will be deprived of even the
      > little he has."

      What is the 'something in his hand'? A meaning is suggested by Thomas'
      version of the sower parable -

      (9) Jesus said: Behold, the sower went forth, he filled his hand, he cast.
      Some fell upon the road; the birds came and gathered them. Others fell on
      the rock, and sent no root down to the earth nor did they sprout any ear up
      to heaven. And others fell on the thorns; they choked the seed, and the worm
      ate them. And others fell on the good earth, and brought forth good fruit
      unto heaven, some sixty -fold and some an hundred and twenty -fold.

      Perhaps the 'something in his hand' is grain seed! One who starts with seed
      ends up with far more grain through the process of growth and harvest. And
      in the parable of the sower the harvest is superabundant. But one who has
      no seed to start with cannot benefit from the harvest and so will be
      deprived of that little he has.

      This interpretation also brings 41 into the constellation of sayings and
      parables that relate to grain and bread. From the grain bread is made and
      the bread is Christ himself. In (97) we have a parable representing the
      loss of the kingdom of heaven by the metaphor of a woman losing meal from a
      jar.

      We would have been unlikely to have seen any connection between Luke 19,26
      and the parable of the sower but for Thomas' inclusion of hands. Yet there
      is a connection at least to the extent that both involve starting with
      something and ending up with more. In both cases that more may be the
      kingdom of heaven.

      Stephen Peter