Re: [GTh] The articles in TIME (?)

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18 2:54 PM
      --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, BrerFrase@a... wrote:

      > but to suggest an entire gospel was penned to counter another, for
      these
      > people for whom writing was a different animal than it is for us,
      and no picnic,
      > is to give them far more -- and less -- credit than they warrant.

      Don't worry, they do not say that the entire gospel was penned to
      counter another. Pagels says the gospel of Thomas might not yet have
      existed when the gospel of John was written. But I agree with her (if
      I understand her correctly) that John is definitely countering ideas
      that were currently ascribed to folks who somehow identified with or
      believed they were following Thomas. I believe it is significant that
      it is only in John, as distinct from the synoptics, that Thomas and
      Phillip, men who were revered by gnostic types, have speaking parts.

      Steve Allison

      It's both an