Mark and Thomas......

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2003
      Hi Frank,

      The Lukan version of saying 45 keeps the same message Thomas relates intact. I have been doing a lot of reading and researching lately and last night I read "Pistis Sophia," ( Andrew's suggestion in an earlier post.)

      Here is an interesting passage that suggests a very strong link between Matthew and Thomas, and a suggestion that the Gospels of Thomas, Phillip, and Matthew are related very closely.

      'He who has ears to hear, let him hear.' Concerning the word which thou didst say to Philip: 'Thou and Thomas and Matthew are the three to whom it has been given, through the First Mystery, to write every word of the Kingdom of the Light, and to bear witness to them'; hear now that I give the interpretation of these words. It is this which thy light-power once prophesied through Moses: 'Through two and three witnesses everything will be established. The three witnesses are Philip and Thomas and Matthew".

      I noted many things in Pistis Sophia that would suggest direct knowledge of the GThom. The most obvious is the almost duplicative cast of characters in P.Sophia, also mentioned in the GThom. Also, "Those that have ears....." Pistis Sophia names the Mount of Olives as the place where the Apostles had their last meeting with Jesus before his ascent. (For over 500 days.) Pistis Sophia is about the catechise in becoming a pneumatic.

      The Apocraphon of James also mentions this gathering, and adds that the disciples spent most of their time learning the meaning of the parables. Pistis Sophia also mentions parables as riddles and mysteries. Of course the characters in the parables are agnosiac and the earthbound hylics of one form and of different social orders. The parables are studies of lower human nature, and the first 'vision' one must have in the process of Gnosis, has to do with understanding the agnosia, sarkics, hylics, choics, and particularly the agnoi, and the aponoiacs. (T-64-65)

      This fits the pattern of Gnosis where one is to study the kenona, the earthly state where the Savior is known in some texts as Saboath. Correspondingly, to paraphrase Thomas, 'you know what is in you, or it kills you.' Saying 45, puts forth one of the most important analogies about the human state. The 'storehouse.' In Pistis Sophia it is referred to as the "Treasury of Light." This means what you have in your storehouse in regard to your spiritual (pleromic) self. The Treasury of Light is the storehouse of your spiritual pleromic self.

      Gnosis requires the ability to understand in three states. In other words you have to build three storehouses..... The psychic self (nous), the spiritual level of the pleroma, and the earthly state of the kenona. Still, this only puts you at the level of psychic (which is still in the realm of hylics). To be a pnuematic, one must join the soul with the Holy Spirit, (GPhil, P. Sophia), the vision, the light. This requires knowing how to have a vision. The parables are part of the catechise, and praxis of Gnosis.

      The parables are the resource for understanding how to have an earthly vision of enlightenment, by showing how the doomed can never attain Gnosis in their present state. Without change they cannot see the realm of the three necessary 'mind sets.'

      If we can show the parables in Thomas are the original versions written from oral and early written tradition, then we see their original intent is as the Gnostic texts say. Parables are riddles and mysteries, germane to the Gnostic vision of transcendence. '....You have to 'fix' your own eye, before you can help your brother.' The parables may be a key to understanding one of the three parts of the vision, or epinoia. ( Gnostic insight) Or, the Gnostics did the redactions of the kernel texts for their purpose. I find this hard to buy into.

      A lot of the things you point out indicate redaction in the synoptics were meant to hide the relevant ideas found in the Gnostic aspects of the GThom. Perhaps like in P. Sophia, Thomas and Matthew wrote their Gospels together and what we see are redactions in Matthew to hide (get rid of) Thomas.

      Would this make what I suggested as the 'kernel text theory' more likely?

      Tom Saunders
      Platter, OK