Barbelo

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2003
      Hi Mike,

      "But the question has to do with a supposed connection between Barbelo and
      Sophia. Does Allogenes make that connection?"

      Yes, I think it does. One, we have a different set of names for the same kind of syzygetic alignment of wisdom with word, mind, and thought as we see described in the "Trimorphic Pretanoia." As yet we need to figure out which theories, and secular texts belong with what terms.

      From Allogenes: "I saw the good divine Autogenes and the Savior, who is the youthful, perfect Triple-Male. amd his goodness, the noetic perfect (Protophanes-Harmedom ??????) and the blessedness of the Kalyptos (?????), and the primary origin of blessedness, the Aeon of Barbelo, full of divinity......

      The next paragraph: " When I was taken by the eternal Light, out of my garment that was upon me, and taken up to the holy place..........

      (?????) means I don't know who these entities are, but it looks like Aeon of Barbelo corresponds to Sophia, as Alchomoth may correspond with Kalytos. Also, being taken up by the Light describes Gnosis. So, we have a very similar scenario of epinoia, between the God head and the nous.

      What's killing me is I'm in the abyss and wearing the garment of cyber darkness, ignorance and desire to get cyber tools on the Nag Hammadi. (Perhaps Mark Goodacre could persuade the History Channel to peddle a Nag Hammadi disk, with word find. Congratulations on the garment of celebrity from appearing on "Ancient Secrets." )

      So, it seems like both Allogenes and the Gospel of Truth come from different schools of Gnostic thought but relate similar processes of Gnosis. Leaving out Sethian is agreeable in regard to the entry. However, it gets juicer.......

      Logos: often translated as "word", it's true meaning is much more multifunctional (a better translation would be "reason"). Logos was an ancient Greek term referring to "reasoned speech," later adapted by the Gospel of John to signify Christ. The Logos is the light that gives Gnosis via communication in some Gnostic schema. It is the Christ (not to be confused with Jesus). First there was a thought, then the word. We pass on knowledge in this world through words. It is something that gives us guidance by "seeing" or a certain amount of comprehension.

      A friend not in the group, a history teacher, and student of Gnosticism, sent me the information about the term logos and the GJohn. (He thinks Gnostics are like Hitler) What might the process of Gnosis be for Johenians as compared with pre-Christian Gnosis, and that described in the Valentinian school?

      Tom Saunders
      Platter Flats, OK