extended Farrer-Goulder hypothesis

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2003
      Hi Frank
      I've been following with considerable interest your development of
      a solution to the synoptic problem giving Thomas a central role.
      My difficulty is this: as stated the hypothesis can fit the facts
      because it can fit any possible set of facts, ie it is not refutable.
      One can explain agreements of Mark and Matthew against Luke
      and Thomas, agreements of Mark and Luke against Matthew and
      Thomas and agreements of Mark and Thomas against Matthew and
      Luke. (I don't think you give any important examples of agreement
      of Mark and Thomas against Matthew and Luke, and there are few to
      be found but the explanation would be that Matthew rewrote an older
      version found in Mark and Thomas and Luke then followed Matthew).
      In order for the hypothesis to become testable some constraints need
      to be added. Since one of the major problem with Luke using Matthew
      is the low amount of places where Matthew and Luke agree against
      Mark then a sensible constraint would be to say that where Matthew
      and Thomas agree against Mark, Luke should follow Matthew/Thomas
      rather than Mark. However it is clear from your examples that this is not
      generally so, Luke several times agrees with Mark rather than
      Matthew/Thomas.
      There is obviously no need for you to adopt the constraint suggested
      above, it is just an example. My point is that as long as Luke is allowed
      to choose from Mark Matthew and Thomas in an unpredictable way it
      is very hard to form predictions allowing a test of the hypothesis.

      Andrew Criddle