Merchant and Pearl

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2003
      Saying 76 is the parable of the Merchant and the Pearl.

      76. Jesus said, "The Father's kingdom is like a merchant who had a supply of merchandise and found a pearl. That merchant was prudent; he sold the merchandise and bought the single pearl for himself. So also with you, seek his treasure that is unfailing, that is enduring, where no moth comes to eat and no worm destroys."

      The first part of the parable is paralleled only by Matthew. However the second part of the parable regarding the treasure is separated between 13-45, 46 to 19-21, in Matthew. We see also that Luke has paralleled and redacted only what is in the second part of Matthew and Thomas:

      Mt 13-45. Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is a merchant seeking goodly pearls:
      46. and having found one pearl of great price, he went and sold all that he had, and bought it.

      Mt. 19- 21. Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

      Lk 12- 33. Sell that which ye have, and give alms; make for yourselves purses which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief draweth near, neither moth destroyeth.
      34. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

      We can conclude that Matthew had Thomas but did not adapt the 'moth destroyeth,' the last part to his version which says 'give to the poor....the treasure is in heaven, follow me.' However Luke did adopt the 'moth destroyeth' with 'where no thief draweth near, instead of the GThom's 'no worm eats.' We can conclude that Luke also had Thomas or one of its kernel texts.

      Tom Saunders