Achamoth and Sophia

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2003
      Andrew states:

      "Our limited knowledge
      of the original teaching of Valentinus makes it unclear whether he
      recognised two wisdoms and some interpret the teaching of Theodotus the
      Valentinian as preserved by Clement of Alexandria in terms of one wisdom or
      Sophia with unfallen and fallen aspects."

      The pleroma is getting to be 'like a box of chocolates, as you never know what you might get.' I found a reference to both Achamoth and Sophia in the first "Apocalypse of James."

      " But I shall call upon the imperishable knowledge, which is Sophia who is in the father and who is the mother of Achamoth." ( See page 266 of Robinson's "Nag Hammadi")

      Does this explain or complicate the explanations of Iranaeus and Valentinus?

      Tom Saunders
      Platter, OK