[gthomas] Re: No.50 [Was 97]

  • Terry Davis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 1999
      At 06:56 PM 12/31/98 -0600, you wrote:
      >> 97 Jesus said, the [Father's] kingdom is like a woman who
      >> was carrying a [jar] full of meal. While she was walking
      >> along [a] distant road, the handle of the jar broke and
      >the
      >> meal spilled behind her [along] the road. She didn't know
      >> it; she hadn't noticed a problem. When she reached her
      >> house, she put the jar down and discovered that it was
      >> empty.

      Regarding your interpretation of this parable, there is another
      possibility. This parable reminds me of the "foolish virgins" who consumed
      their lamp oil waiting for the groom, rather than conserving it until the
      groom arrived. I don't think that in either case there is necessarily the
      idea of fault or blame, but simply unawareness of a scarce resource. So it
      is that we go through life using up our spiritual energy on material
      matters, worrying about money, status, what we will wear and what we will
      eat. Jesus encourages us to depend on God for these things, and thus
      conserve our energy, for there is enough trouble in a single day. There
      seems to be a implicit warning here that at the end of the journey, our
      inner strength must be enough to take the next step. My father was
      exhausted with life and consumed by the world at his death, yet I still
      believe that his strength of character was enough to take him forward ---
      he had never "sold out" to the world, just endured it to the best of his
      ability.
      While the simplicity of Zen and the Eastern religions is delightful and
      attractive, we still have a job to do in this world rather than just
      existing here experiencing bliss, enlightenment, and the like. The
      spiritual search is great and of great importance, but we are the Father's
      physical eyes, ears, and hands on this earth.
      As the Man said, the Kingdom of Heaven is spread throughout the earth, but
      no one sees it.
      Conserve your grain, do your job, and help others.
      Lord help me to discover what my purpose is on this earth and to fulfill
      it. I am only a sojourner here, as was my father.

      Thanks for the opportunity to contribute to this group,

      Terry Davis