Re: [GTh] Logion 68 (B)

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 5, 2003
      --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "jmgcormier" <cobby@n...> wrote:

      >>My own bias is that usage will ultimately decide which words we
      use, but in fairness to the French system, if nobody (or no "body")
      is watching for word creepage into a language, pretty soon (not sure
      at which point) the language in question loses much of its
      authenticity.<<

      "Language is what language does," as the movie character Forrest Gump
      might say. The koine of the 1st century CE was quite different than
      the Attic of classical Greek times (slightly simpler grammer, full of
      new words created from a variety of sources - not all of which were
      of "pure" Greek origin).

      The upper classes were quite aware of this, as they were tutored in
      Attic literature and spoke that form of the language among
      themselves. I cannot recall the source off hand (I am on vacation in
      Texas) but one critic quotes (in English translation) a writer from
      around the 1st century who was very critical of other elites who
      stooped to speak or make use of elements of the Greek koine dialect.

      Of course, that kind of attitude among the elite classes does not
      stop his baker or lower level retainer or slave from using the
      somewhat simpler and more "colorful" koine for everyday business.

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio USA