Thomas and Gospel of the Saviour

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2003
      Bart Ehrman's recently published "Lost Scriptures"
      contains a translation of the "Gospel of the Saviour"
      a second century apocryphal Greek Gospel
      surviving only in a recently published fragmentary
      Coptic manuscript of the sixth century.
      I looked for parallels to Thomas and didn't find
      many. The most interesting is "If someone comes
      close to me he will get burned. I am the blazing
      fire. Whoever is close to me is close to the fire.
      Whoever is far from me is far from life." There is
      an obvious parallel to Thomas 82 but also possibly
      to Thomas 10. (Thomas 82 is a frequently quoted
      agraphon and its presence in the Gospel of the
      Saviour probably does not imply any direct
      dependence of one on the other.)

      Andrew Criddle