Re: [GTh] Usage of Undirected 2nd Person Singular

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2003
      Believing as I do that it's an essential part of sound method to play
      devil's advocate to one's own ideas, I'd like to point out a deficiency in
      reasoning in my note of yesterday. I had suggested that perhaps the set of
      questions in 6 were asked of Thomas by his companions. The form of the
      questions, however, seem to require that they be asked of an authority
      figure. Take the first question, for example:

      "Do you (sg) desire that we fast?"

      Why would Thomas' companions (i.e., the other disciples, presumably) ask
      this of Thomas? What do they care whether _Thomas_ wants them to fast? It
      seems clear, then, that these questions must have been asked of JS. But if
      the answers are the notorious "three words", then the questions must have
      been asked by Thomas when JS took him aside. Unfortunately, however, the
      intros to the questions and answers are not in the singular (as we would
      expect, if it were a dialogue between Thomas and JS), but rather in the
      plural:

      6A: They said to him ... (line 33)
      14: JS said to them ... (lines 101-102)

      If we try to make this into a report by Thomas of his secret conversation
      with JS, we would have to have "I said to him" and "JS/he said to me". But
      this would require micro-changes (replacements of single letters, e.g.),
      whereas my intuitions tell me that macro-changes are what were intended - at
      least in most cases. So then perhaps #14 does not represent the "three
      words" that JS spoke to Thomas? (I've always believed that they must
      constitute some kind of a logical followup to J's statement to Thomas that
      "I'm not your master/teacher".) Alas, I remain ...

      Puzzled,