Thomas and Mary

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2003
      I have possibly found a clue to the organization of the GThom.

      Almost everyone notes some sort of correlation to Mary and Thomas as to the content and explanation to the texts. One, the texts seem to relate the same ideas as to 'the vision' and the light.' In the text of the GMary is a list of the levels of the powers of darkness (demons). I reasoned that these powers of darkness may reflect an opposite ascending/descending type list.

      These powers of darkness on the 4th level, that Mary describes would in fact have a counterpart of the light so to speak. There may not actually be seven subjects or elements to this list but so far I have......

      The list in Mary is:
      1. Darkness
      2. Desire
      3. Ignorance
      4. Excitement of death
      5. Kingdom of the flesh
      6. Foolish wisdom of the flesh
      7. Wrathful Wisdom

      The first three subjects on the list are pretty straight forward and seem to have obvious opposites. Darkness-light, desire-satisfaction of desire, and ignorance-knowledge. I found the GThom to contain running commentaries on the following:

      1. (Darkness) Vision or the light.....
      Thom Sayings: 5, 11, 15, 17, 22, 24, 26, 28, 33, 34, 37, 50, 59, 61, 77, 78, 82, 83, 91, 113

      2. (Desire) Satisfaction of Desire
      6, 14, 27, 36, 41, 45, 47, 60, 69, 70, ,74, 104, 108

      3. (Ignorance) On Seeking Knowledge from Ignorance
      1, 2, 3, 4, 12, 18, 38, 39, 42, 49, 56, 67, 79, 80, 86, 88, 90, 92, 94, 99, 110, 114

      4. (Excitement of death) Death or destruction is contained in the GThom but perhaps not as an opposite.
      7, 10, 13, 16, 31, 32, 35, 40, 44, 51, 52, 71, 84

      5. (Kingdom of the Flesh)

      6. (Foolish Wisdom of Flesh)

      7. (Wrathful Wisdom)

      Because there are no opposites for 4. I stopped trying to correlate sayings to the subject list and decided to hand over what I have put together so far so the group could examine what I have done, recommend any changes and possibly put the rest of the GThom in this model.

      Tom Saunders
      Platter, OK