Logion 68 (B)

  • jmgcormier
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2003
      Greetings all ...

      I wonder if some of you might help me a bit with logion 68(B).
      I am trying to get around three difficulties in it which may or may
      not amount to mere text corruption ... but then which may run a bit
      deeper than that.

      Logion 68 quite simply states: "Blessed are you when you are
      hated and persecuted. Wherever you have been persecuted they will find
      no place."

      First, it is pretty clear that the (A) part of the logion refers to a
      time fixation ... "when" you are persecuted. Why would the (B) part of
      the logion lead off with a "place" fixation? ..."Wherever ..." (Might
      it have something to do with the word "place" at the very end of the
      logion?)

      Second, who might the "they" be as employed in the middle of the (B)
      sentence? Could it be thet the (A) part of the logion is meant to
      identify those doing the hating and the persecuting, but their
      identity was somehow left out of the sentence ..."Blessed are you when
      you are hated and persecuted by ______ (whomever)". In the case of
      Matt 5: 11 - 12 and Luke 6: 22 - 23 where the same idea is given, no
      one is identified as doing the hating and the persecuting, but the
      idea is introduced in both these cases that the hating and persecuting
      is being done onto the "listeners", "for Jesus' sake". So again, who
      are the "they" in the (B) part of the logion.

      Finally, what about the word "place" at the end of the logion. It is
      clearly nonsensical that one finds "no place" in such circumstances,
      unless it should read "no place to rest" or the like ("There shall be
      no rest for the wicked...") in which event the translator or redactor
      missed a few words in his translation or his redaction.

      The strange part about all of this is that in the following logion,
      (# 69) the redactor opts to repeat the words of logion 68 (A) but adds
      that the persecuting is that which is done internally as seemingly
      opposed to physically in the case of logion 68. Is logion #68 then but
      an invention of the author ... or perhaps are logions 68 and 69
      somehow meant to be read as a single logion ? Note also that logion #
      70 which follows also speaks of "perssecution within", but in its (B)
      sentence goes on to also introduce the idea of (physical ?)
      "destruction" as seems to also be the case in logion # 68 .... well at
      least to the extent that persecution and destruction are associated
      concepts ...

      Thank you in advance for any and all views.

      Maurice Cormier