Re: [GTh] GTh 3/Deut 30:11-14 Parallels

  • Achilles37@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 9, 2003
      Hello -

      Just in terms of parallels between GThomas and the book of Deuteronomy (but not "Deuteronomistic Theology"), here are a few besides GTh 3 and Deut. 30:11-14:

      GTh Preamble - These are the secret sayings which the living Jesus spoke and which Didymos Judas Thomas wrote down.
      Deuteronomy 1:1 - "These are the words that Moses spoke to Israel in the Transjordan"

      GTh 2 - Jesus said, "Let him who seeks continue seeking until he finds..."
      Deut 4:29 - "But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him..."

      GTh 22 - "...eyes in the place of an eye, and a hand in place of a hand, and a foot in place of a foot..."
      Deut. 19:21 - "...eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot."

      GTh 23 - Jesus said, "I shall choose you, one out of a thousand, and two out of ten thousand..."
      Deuteronomy 32:20 - "How could one man chase a thousand, or two put ten thousand to flight..."

      GTh 25 - Jesus said, "...guard him like the pupil of your eye."
      Deut. 32:10 - "...he guarded him as the apple of his eye."

      Regards,

      - Kevin Johnson
    • Tom Saunders
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 10, 2003
        Hi All,

        Kevin presents an interesting set of parallels to Deuteronomy. But can we call them parallels that are intentional rather than coincidental? I don't see an intentional pattern that would lead me to believe that the GThom is about reinforcing the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Moses. The author of the GThom probably read Deuteronomy, but the GThom seems to be about another kind of "God," or 'light' as it is used in the GThom.

        What do you think is in the "Old T" that really does reflect any thematic intentions of the GThom?

        Tom Saunders
        Platter Flats, OK

      • sarban
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 10, 2003
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 10, 2003
            Replies to Kevin Johnson, Tom Saunders, and Andrew Criddle:

            Thanks much to Kevin Johnson for the list of
            parallels with Deuteronomy! Very interesting.

            Tom Saunders asks a good question:

            > What do you think is in the "Old T"
            > that really does reflect any thematic
            > intentions of the GThom?

            Well, lets try to list some thematic parallels:

            #1.
            Deuteronomy is a list of sayings given by Moses before he died.
            GTh is a list of sayings given by Jesus before he died.

            #2.
            Moses looks forward to the entry into the promised land.
            Jesus looks forward to the entry into the Kindom of Heaven.

            #3.
            Moses will die before the children of Israel enter the promised land.
            Jesus will die before his followers enter the kindgom of heaven.

            #3.
            Deuteronomy is not concerned with Satan or the Devil at all.
            GTh is not concerned with Satan or the Devil at all.

            #4.
            Deuteronomy lists laws prescribing how to live in the promised land.
            GTh lists laws presecribing how to live in the kindgom of heaven.

            Andrew Criddle writes:

            > The tendency in the Gospel of Thomas to see
            > Jesus as a revealer of timeless spiritual truths
            > seems to come from a different world of thought.

            Agreed, its a different world of thought, but perhaps
            GTh uses adopts some themes from Deuteronomistic Theology?

            Could the GTh be patterened on the book of Deuteronomy?

            Just wondering aloud,
            -Randy Helzerman
          • swallison
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 12, 2003
              --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, Achilles37@a... wrote:
              > Hello -
              >
              > Just in terms of parallels between GThomas and the book of
              Deuteronomy (but not "Deuteronomistic Theology"), here are a few
              besides GTh 3 and Deut. 30:11-14:

              > GTh Preamble - These are the secret sayings which the living Jesus
              spoke and which Didymos Judas Thomas wrote down.
              > Deuteronomy 1:1 - "These are the words that Moses spoke to Israel in
              the Transjordan"

              > GTh 2 - Jesus said, "Let him who seeks continue seeking until he
              finds..."
              > Deut 4:29 - "But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will
              find him..."

              > GTh 22 - "...eyes in the place of an eye, and a hand in place of a
              hand, and a foot in place of a foot..."
              > Deut. 19:21 - "...eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot
              for foot."

              > GTh 23 - Jesus said, "I shall choose you, one out of a thousand, and
              two out of ten thousand..."
              > Deuteronomy 32:20 - "How could one man chase a thousand, or two put
              ten thousand to flight..."

              > GTh 25 - Jesus said, "...guard him like the pupil of your eye."
              > Deut. 32:10 - "...he guarded him as the apple of his eye."
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > - Kevin Johnson

              I recall a discussion on this forum some time ago where some one was
              making the case that GThom had absolutely no interest in the Old
              Testament and no real references to the OT. The above is too
              extensive to be a coincidence and would seem to contradict that
              hypothesis.

              Thanks

              Steve Allison